The Healing Art Cart is a new program that lets long-term patients choose the art on display in their own hospital rooms. Each participating unit is provided with a cart full of art, which is brought through the unit at regular intervals to allow clients to select their desired artwork. All art on the cart is vetted in accordance with Evidence-Based Art research for the inclusion of elements known to reduce stress and positively impact health outcomes.
The Healing Art Cart program has been carefully designed to meet specific needs of long-term hospital care units (including considerations of infection control). The program can also be adapted for retirement centers, memory care communities, and nearly any other facility where clients spend a significant amount of time in one room.
By combining images that align with Evidence-Based Art research and a program design that provides positive distractions and a sense of control for patients, the Healing Art Cart can bring the following benefits to your facility:
- Reduced costs resulting from lower staff turnover and decreased cost of care.
- Increased income by elevating the perceived quality of your organization in the view of prospective clients, foundations and donors.
- Reduced stress and anxiety for clients, staff and visitors.
- Improved health outcomes for clients receiving any kind of medical care.
- Better patient experiences including perceived quality of care.
Special thanks to Legacy Emanuel Hospital, who made way for the pilot of this program in the Oregon Burn Center. Thanks to the lessons learned and the feedback received during the pilot run, other facilities may now begin to request the Healing Art Cart for their patients.